Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:06:20 -0500

Tina et al.,

Thanks for doing the filter test. Your hand-held Minolta meter indicates 3/10ths, or in other words, almost 1/3 of an f stop light loss from your UV
filter.  Exactly which UV filter were you using?  I am still at a loss for why your readings are different.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that in
a predominantly warmly lit (tungsten/yellow/blue deficient) environment, the meter reacts differently to the reduction of the ultra violet rays than
if the meter was presented with 5000K daylight.

I don't believe there will be any evidence of light loss on the film itself, especially not 1/3rd of a stop.  If you exposed a gray scale, or Macbeth
Color Checker, at the same exposure, with and without the UV filter, I am doubtful there would be any visible or measurable difference.

Also, I believe, as other members have said, the UV filter does NOT have a greater effect if the light level is very low in the environment you are
shooting in.  The transmission qualities of the filter are fixed, and it will always let all light rays below a certain wavelength pass through it, no
matter what the intensity level of the light source is.

Maybe this is just a color temperature issue, where the meter's sensitivity is erroneously effected by the reduction of UV, but the actual film itself
is not.  Someone needs to do an actual transparency film test and measure the results with a densitometer.  Sorry I don't have the time to do it.

Regards,

Rob McElroy
idag@pce.net