Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:16:30 -0500

Tina Manley wrote:

> I just meant that if you have enough light to only barely measure - as I do
> many times (3200 speed film at f1.0 @ 1/15 sec) - 1/3 of a stop less light
> is going to make more of a difference in picture taking possibilities than
> if you've got plenty of light and even a whole stop less won't matter.

Tina,

I totally agree.  I have been shooting available darkness, with the fastest possible lenses, for 20 years, and 1/3 of a stop CAN make the difference
between getting a picture and not getting it.  I also don't use filters on my Leica or Nikons unless I need them to avoid an adverse environmental
condition.  Dare I say that one of the best reasons to use a camera with 1/3 of a stop shutter speed increments is because of the advantages when
shooting with very little light.............enter the Nikon F5, and others of course.  1/10th and 1/5th of a second are great shutter speeds!

My previous posts regarding light loss and the UV filter was because I don't believe there is ANY measurable light loss if you choose to put a UV
filter over your Noctilux, or any lens for that matter.  I believe the meter reading differences are erroneous.

My credo: Shoot available light as often as possible, don't use a filter unless absolutely necessary, try not to use flash, and don't be afraid of
1/8th or even 1/4 of a second shutter speeds.  The percentage of usable images may be lower, but the rewards are the highest when all the elements
come together.

Cheers,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY