Subject: [Leica] OT Contax impressions (N1 and others)
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:59:43 -0500

Hey LUGnutz,

It was Contax day at a local shop here in DC, so I got a chance to check out
the new N1 with the 24-85 lens.  I also checked out the 645 (and tried a 645
lens on the N1--it works!), the older RTS III, and a Canon EOS 1v (just to
have a basis for comparison).

My impression of the Contax N1 was mostly favorable.  The finder is bright
and provides enough eye relief that I could see all of it with my
eyeglasses.  It's also mercifully uncluttered.  The N1 has five focus
sensors and a very easy to use joystick on the back to select among them.
It's lenses are similar to EOS USM lenses: very quiet, fast, lightweight,
and capable of full time manual focusing for touching up.

The N1 seems to weigh slightly more than the EOS 1v without booster.  It
feels good in the hands, and the controls are all within easy reach.  I
found it a bit awkward having the shutter speed dial on the wrong side of
the body (from a Leica-centric perspective :), but otherwise all was easy to
use.

I really liked the 645.  The MF lenses seem better built--have a more solid
feel, and a longer focus throw.  This is a very light-weight, easy to handle
MF camera.

But my experience handling an R8 a few weeks ago has spoiled me for anything
else.  I'm discovering that perhaps I am just a manual focus kind of guy.
My favorite Contax, lo and behold, was the RTS III: it has the weight and
feel of a real camera.  The ground glass has more contrast and is easier to
focus manually--and the lenses feel _real_.  I don't know how else to put
it.

I was surprised, because I've handled a 1v before and really liked it.  This
time, though, it felt like a toy.  And the Contax N1 only felt slightly
better.

So now I'm left wondering how I can possibly work out a budget that will let
me afford an R8 (not too bad) and a few R lenses (impossibly expensive, even
used).  Maybe I'll consider an RTS III despite knowing that the manual focus
contax glass is going to go the way of the old Canon mf lenses.  Then
there's always the classic Nikon F3 (also now destined for the used store
shelves) and AIS Nikkors.

Dan

Replies: Reply from "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net> (Re: [Leica] OT Contax impressions (N1 and others))