Subject: RE: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:12:37 -0500

How does the 90 apo M compare to the 90 R?  Or the 100/2.8 macro R?

Which do you find a better choice for portrait shooting--the M or the R
glass?

I've had trouble shooting candid portraits with M glass and thought perhaps
AF was the remedy, but it occurs to me now that what actually slows me down
with the M in this instance is having to focus in the center, then
recompose: in the split second of recomposing, the subject has moved!  AF
with it's sensors would likely cause me the same problem; even servo
wouldn't do much good if the subject's movements are herky-jerky.

BUT a uniform ground glass focusing screen on an R8 would be just the
ticket: focus anywhere on the screen without having to recompose.

Determined to find justification for an R8 yet,
Dan

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids)