Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:27:15 +0100

Dan,

The 100 Macro Elmarit is ample justification for owning the R8. In many ways, I
find that the R lenses are even better than their M equivalents. It could be
that my R pictures are more often taken on tripod and in general with more care.
The M invites to fast shooting. My favorite R lenses are the 100 Macro Elmarit
and the 180 Elmarit (I have the old version).

Nathan

Dan Honemann wrote:

> How does the 90 apo M compare to the 90 R?  Or the 100/2.8 macro R?
>
> Which do you find a better choice for portrait shooting--the M or the R
> glass?
>
> I've had trouble shooting candid portraits with M glass and thought perhaps
> AF was the remedy, but it occurs to me now that what actually slows me down
> with the M in this instance is having to focus in the center, then
> recompose: in the split second of recomposing, the subject has moved!  AF
> with it's sensors would likely cause me the same problem; even servo
> wouldn't do much good if the subject's movements are herky-jerky.
>
> BUT a uniform ground glass focusing screen on an R8 would be just the
> ticket: focus anywhere on the screen without having to recompose.
>
> Determined to find justification for an R8 yet,
> Dan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland