Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Fair prices for R wide-angle lenses?
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2000 05:41:13 -0800

On Mon, 20 November 2000, Ray Moth wrote:

> Dear LUG,
>
> I have a chance to buy, from a dealer here in Jakarta, Indonesia, two
> used Leica R (3 cam) lenses. Both look to be in as-new condition, there
> are no signs of use and the glass seems flawless. Front and rear Leitz
> lens caps are included.
>
> One is a 24mm/2.8 Elmarit, serial # 3429XXX. Asking price is US$815.
> The other, complete with box, leather case and warranty card, is a
> 35mm/2.0 Summicron, serial # 3476XXX. Asking price is US$700. The
> dealer will not consider reducing his prices because he says he can't
> afford to go lower. Incidentally, from talking to some of his customers
> I gather he has a good reputation here and is a member of the local
> Leica Club.
>
> I'm inclined to buy both of these lenses, since they would very nicely
> fill an important gap (to me) in my existing range of prime R lenses.
> Leica equipment does not appear on the used market here all that often
> and I wouldn't like to miss a good opportunity. So, I would welcome
> people's opinions on this deal and whether I can expect these lenses to
> give good performance (assuming they are in the condition I think they
> are). Thanks in advance for your comments.
>
> Regards,
>
> =====
> Ray

Ray,

I have no experience with the 24 but the current version of the 35mm Summicron-R is outstanding in nearly all respects (smaller would be better).  This is the version using E55 filters.  If the lens is truly in as-new condition the price from a dealer is reasonable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento