Subject: Uniform "ground glass" (was:RE: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2000 07:33:13 -0800

On Tue, 21 November 2000, "Dan Honemann" wrote:

<SNIP>

> I've had trouble shooting candid portraits with M glass and thought perhaps
> AF was the remedy, but it occurs to me now that what actually slows me down
> with the M in this instance is having to focus in the center, then
> recompose: in the split second of recomposing, the subject has moved!  AF
> with it's sensors would likely cause me the same problem; even servo
> wouldn't do much good if the subject's movements are herky-jerky.
>
> BUT a uniform ground glass focusing screen on an R8 would be just the
> ticket: focus anywhere on the screen without having to recompose.
>
> Determined to find justification for an R8 yet,
> Dan

This is one of the big reasons AF does not appeal to me.  I'm not trying to re-kindle the AF-vs-MF war, just stating my personal preference.  Using a viewfinder that was actually designed for manual focus, anywhere in the field of view, is a real treat.  The R8 is superb in this respect.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento