Subject: Re: Uniform "ground glass" (was:RE: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids)
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:29:45 -0500

Also not wishing to revive any "war", I occasionally switch my AF to manual
and focus by eye on the screen, for just the reasons mentioned here.  I
find it focuses as easily as a manual focus-only camera.

Dan C.

At 07:33 AM 21-11-00 -0800, Douglas Herr wrote:
>On Tue, 21 November 2000, "Dan Honemann" wrote:
>

><SNIP>
>>
>> I've had trouble shooting candid portraits with M glass and thought perhaps
>> AF was the remedy, but it occurs to me now that what actually slows me down
>> with the M in this instance is having to focus in the center, then
>> recompose: in the split second of recomposing, the subject has moved!  AF
>> with it's sensors would likely cause me the same problem; even servo
>> wouldn't do much good if the subject's movements are herky-jerky.
>>
>> BUT a uniform ground glass focusing screen on an R8 would be just the
>> ticket: focus anywhere on the screen without having to recompose.
>>
>> Determined to find justification for an R8 yet,
>> Dan
>>

>This is one of the big reasons AF does not appeal to me.  I'm not trying
to re-kindle the AF-vs-MF war, just stating my personal preference.  Using
a viewfinder that was actually designed for manual focus, anywhere in the
field of view, is a real treat.  The R8 is superb in this respect.