Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #200
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:22:35 -0500

At 12:01 AM 11/21/00 -0800, you wrote:
>The takeover last year of Chateau d'Yquem by the Louis Vuitton/Moet
>Hennesy group was
>contested by one branch of the Lur Saluces family, while the rest sold to the
>handbag/cognac/champagne conglomerate. The new owners haven't changed a
>thing at the
>property, even keeping the objecting shareholders on staff.
>While the analogies are not perfect, I don't think Hermes (or anyone else)
>would buy
>into Leica in order to destroy it by devaluing what it produces.

This could in fact be wonderful for Leica if Hermes is at all as
conscientious as Vuitton.  Chateau d'Yquem is, among wines, the Leica M4
with Noctilux.  (Doesn't Parker consider it the best wine in the
world?)  Perhaps Vuitton and company will give Leica the financial
confidence necessary to get back to the serious business of excellence.  On
the other hand -- even without pressure from the new owners -- Leica may
well decide that it's more important to issue a special collectors'
editions with emu skin in the Vuitton pattern...

Btw, I envy your expertise.  I'd love to be a sommelier, but was born with
a mediocre palate.

cheers,

DC