Subject: [Leica] APO gobble gobble APO!!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:18:28 -0800

><Snip>  I am really curious if an APO lens in
> say 50mm focal length would significant improve the color rendition if an
> image on the film? would the film itself be able to detect the minute amount
> if 'fringing'?
>
> Dan ( I am curious, fellow!) Post

My take on it Dan!:
	or better yet; what i know about it...
APO lenses used to be the realm of the process camera which needed all three
colors;
red, green and blue to be focused on the same plane or the funny papers would be
out of wack Sunday mornings and Mayor
LaGuardia would go blind!
So would the unfunny papers the rest of the week. Platemaking. Reprophotography.

It turns out telephoto lenses were never so great muchly because of that very
same problem.
The colors were not all being placed back at the same plane by all that tubular glass!!
So when someone finally figured out how to do this they stuck an "apo" on the
outside of the barrel and upped the ante on telephoto quality. Even made for
much crisper images in black and white!

But in the large format world "apo" also seemed to indicate slower and more
compact optics.
But not so in the last 5 years when a huge upsurge of change in large format optics!
Apo-Symmar optics from Schneider.
F 5.6 and be there. Not necessarily telephoto anymore.
Nikkor AM-ED apo macro.
F 5.6 and be here now!!

And in 35mm format third party optical companies which put "apo" on a lens they
plan on charging another chunk of money for because it hopes to compete with
name brand optics. Either APO or ASPH depending on what looks better with the
rest of the graphics.
And now claims that lenses like the Zeiss 100 macro have been apo the whole
while they just never bothered sticking it on the lens because it is such a
classy company...

Then there is the Tele-Superachromat CFE 5.6/350mm lens from Zeiss for Hasselblad!
not only is RGB put at the same plane but CMYK as well
and designer colors you wouldn't like anyway!

Parents. Do you know where your colors are?

mark rabiner
who's got ALL his colors in a tight row!

From those cool blue reds of the cranberry to the delicate fleshtones of the
white meat of the turkey!

Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] why is there no Apo summicron 90 chromed version?)