Subject: Re: [Leica] Calling Doug H.
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2000 22:42:17 -0800

On Fri, 24 November 2000, Mike Johnston wrote:

> Dog Herr,
> I actually shot a bit with a Leica SL today. It was nicer than I
> expected--quite quiet, and indeed, easier for me to focus than the R4 or R5.
> And not even as big and heavy as I thought.
>
> Nice camera. Maybe I should try the R#$NNNN$%5m5m5m5m5mlk****
>
> [error -8674]
>
> --Mike

I think much of the SL's reputation for huge mass comes from some of the R lenses of that era, in particular the 35mm Summicron-R and the older lenses longer than 60mm.  The camera body is hefty, but an R4sP with winder & batteries is actually 1/2 lb heavier than the SL.

I mentioned to Mike privately that the SL is easier for me to focus than the R4sP, in fact so much easier that the R4sP is mostly the boof's camera now.  Younger eyes don't have trouble with the R4sP, but I do.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento