Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-R Extension Tubes
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2000 05:39:00 -0800

On Fri, 24 November 2000, Andy Schaub wrote:

> I have my eye on the 60 MM Leica-R macro lens but cannot afford one right
> now. I thought I might get a set of short extension tubes to use with my 50
> MM lens increasing my range to at least 1:3 or 1:4 if not 1:2; but I can
> find no extension tubes except for the standard 25 MM one (which I have)
> intended for use with the 60 MM lens. Any ideas? Reading old posts, it
> seems that the 60 MM has clear advantages over the 100 MM and the 100 MM
> fixed focus with the bellows in terms of sharpness and flexibility,
> respectively. So I would rather save my money for the 60 if I can find any
> way of "adapting" the 50 in the short term. (I have an R 6.2.)
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Andy,

The extension tube you have now is probably 30mm.  As another LUGger mentioned, there is a set of semi-manual extension rings consisting of camera-end and lens-end tubes that screw together, plus an optinal intermediate ring.  Several intermediate rings can be used for higher magnification.  The basic camera-end and lens-end rings (together, # 14158) give you a 25mm extension, and the intermediate ring (14159) is another 25mm.

You can also consider Elpro close-up lenses for your 50mm lens.  An advantage of the Elpro is that you don't lose any light, and a disadvantage is that your working distance is reduced.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento