Subject: [Leica] Vulcanite
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 10:42:16 -0000

From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu> wrote:

>It [vulcanite] was a poor choice of material...

We know that now, but back in the 1920s when the Leica was designed it
looked like a good idea. It was much harder wearing than leather or
leatherette finishes, and kept its visual appearance over decades.

Here the the UK, in the 1960s cameras with cracked or missing
vulcanite were rarely seen in the windows of your nearest friendly
Leica dealer, which suggested that the material was good for at least
two or three decades. Today, our screw-mount Leicas are at least 40
years old, and many M2 and M3 cameras must be of similar vintage...
and the 'vulcanite disease' has become only too familiar. I wonder how
the covering of today's M6s will look in 2040?

Regards,

Doug Richardson

Replies: Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Vulcanite)