Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-R Extension Tubes/100 Macro
From: "Bill Christensen" <billc@xsite.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 06:11:17 -0600

Andy,

IMHO, the 100mm focal length is MUCH better than 60mm for closeup work.  The
100 provides better lens to subject distance (the little bugs are less
likely to flee) and takes in less background area eliminating possible
problems.  The 100 macro is also very versatile and is ideal for portraits,
scenics and macro etc.  If you already have a 50, the 60 macro is virtually
the same focal length for general shooting.

Leica has made 3 different 100 macros.  The lens requiring the bellows
cannot be used for anything but macro and I strongly do not recommend it,
especially in the field (bellows are heavy and bulky).  The 100f4, which is
available on the used market, produces nice images (I used to own one) and
provides about a 1:3 magnification without an extension, if my memory is
correct.  Leica's extension tube, the Macro-Adapter-R, works well with the
100 depending upon the desired magnification.  The 100 f2.8 APO , which is
magnificent, has a 1:2 maginfication and reaches 1:1 with the special Elpro
designed for it.  Depending upon your pocketbook, you may wish to look for
either the f4 or the f2.8 APO.

Finally, years ago Leica had a set of manual tubes that screwed together.
If you can find it on the used market, it will be relatively inexpensive but
will require you to manually close down the lens prior to each exposure, a
real pain.  The set was about 50 or 60mm in length and the 25mm middle tube
could be removed.

Enjoy the macro work!

Bill Christensen