Subject: Re: [Leica] C 41 or conventional B & W film?
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:25:23 -0500

on 11/25/00 5:12 AM, Tony Salce at NadinaTony@bigpond.com wrote:

> This question has little to do with Leica. I hope it is not too
> inappropriate for this list. I use a Leica IIIa and a 50mm Summar. It's a
> wonderful camera and lens. My photography is centred on family and travel. I
> would shoot only say 40- 50 rolls of film a year. I love blalk and white and
> am tossing up whether to plunge into setting up a darkroom. The cost of
> laboratory printed black and white is exorbitant here in Australia and the
> results( in my vew) are average.
>
> Given the amount of shooting I do is it worth setting up a darkroom or are
> the C41 films, TCN and XP2, the better way to go. How do these films
> iffer( apart from archival qualities)from their more conventional
Black and White is goooood.  The darkroom thing is the best way to go for
top results.  Start by processing your film, you do not need special room,
just changing bag and daylight tanks.  The improvement in negatives may
result in improved print quality.  You can also try electronic printing...I
do not go into the dark anymore.

C41 films are okay but not a good as conventional film.  And I like Plus X
and the 100 iso  Delta/Tmax films.  Most of the exterior(when I know all
shooting will be outside) use them.  400 iso films are great and when mixed
lighting conditions will exist they are great and somewhat a universal film.
Hard to exdpose at f5.6/8 in bright sunlight so maybe you can not see the
best of your Leica lenses.

Film and how you handle it is personal and only you can say which is best
for you.

Happpy snaps,
Steven Alexander