Subject: Re: [Leica] Best books with Magnum photos?
From: Dean Chance <mreyebal@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:05:23 +0000

on 11/29/00 12:35 AM, Tristan Tom at tt@tristan.net wrote:

> I'm looking for a good book that features the photography of Magnum
> photographers? Anyone have any recommendations?
>

> Tristan Tom
> NO ARCHIVE
> http://tristan.net/

The new book, Magnum°, (that's the "degree" sign, as in 100°) is a good look
at what Magnum photographers are doing today. The book reminds us that
there's more to Magnum that black and white war photography from the Capa
era. The cooperative's strengths and weaknesses are there to discover. (Of
course, what is strong and what is weak about Magnum is a matter of violent
debate within and without the group.) I also enjoyed "Magnum Cinema," which
features Magnum's coverage of movies. I think I liked the book because, for
once, Magnum wasn't beating me over the head about how they're trying to
save the world. Basically, I've learned a great deal by studying Magnum
publications. This is hardly a complete list. I wish the group put out more
books, but I understand that it's tough. The photographers have a famously
hard time agreeing on what kind of books to put out and what pictures should
go in them. Someone is always screaming about selling out, but the pictures
are hardly doing the world any good sitting in a dusty archive.

Dean Chance