Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:36:38 -0500

At 09:36 AM 11/29/2000 -0500, sam wrote:
>When I bought my first
>Leica
>(M2 in 1965), I was convinced that the people in Germany who built the
>camera
>were above average in skill (the thorough apprentice system, etc.), and they
>produced a
>superior product.

The German government set up a hefty tax break in the early 1950's for
industrial concerns which hired disabled war vets.  Most industries could
not take advantage of this, as the vets in question often were paraplegic
or the like.  Leica, however, did hire a number of these vets and made full
use of their dedication -- the vets were delighted to have employment, and
Leitz was delighted at the quality of their work, as well as by the tax
break.  These fellows generally retired in the mid to late 1960's.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!