Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Country of Manufacture
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:16:15 -0500

At 05:42 PM 11/28/2000 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:
>having the majority of the M6 produced in Portugal is news.  it's not
generally known, and it
>certainly is not advertised by Leica.  the majority issue is far different
than selected
>components.  but of course, you are a lecturer for the Leica school --
right ?  perhaps it's
>old news to you, but not to me.   perhaps you can tell me when the
majority of  M6 production
>switched to Portugal.

I believe that the majority of the M camera guts began to be sub-contracted
or produced in Portugal around 1986, when production ceased at Wetzlar.
Leica has never attempted to hide this fact, and it is discussed in most of
the standard books on the M system.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!