Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:22:41 +0100

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> If it became generally known how much of the M6 is made outside of Germany,
> sales might lag.

Stephen,

I really don't think so.
Because what Bill explained in his post yesterday, was well
known, if not in such a detailed way, by "those who care to
know" (collectors, some users and specialized Leica shops)
since the beginning of the production.
There is nothing really new here, and the “Assembled in
Germany M6” was only outnumbered by the M3 and still sell
well in its current TTL incarnation.

Personally, I learned about it in 1985, before I became a
Leica user and later a collector. (I didn't care and still don't).
It was confirmed to me several times by various sources
including Erwin. Various sources who usually have visited
both factories.
And all those statements were always very appreciative about
the quality of the job done there and quality of the management.

It was certainly not a secret in 1985, and still isn't.
At the factory they were always really open about that.

It was also discussed several times on the LUG.

Now, regarding your personal attack against Erwin, it’s only
impairing your own credibility IMO.

But as you don't seem to care, why should I worry about it.

Lucien

Message from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens)