Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong Hospitality - (Long!) - Part 2
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:57:46 EST

On the day of the Hong Kong LUG dinner, fellow LUGgers Lee and Dennis from
Singapore, Jun from Tokyo, and I descended on Nathan Road (the Mecca of
commerce in watches, cameras, handbags, tailor-made suits and other
consumables) and proceeded to see the sights. Lee has done this before and
led us through dark alleyways worthy of any Indiana Jones movie and we saw
cameras, accessories, and more cameras. Jun had picked up an 85/1,2 Contax
60th anniversary lens the day before and we now looked for an appropriate
Contax RTS to go with it. Dennis needed a flash, Lee looked for anything with
8's in the serial number, and I was looking for the double shoe for my 12mm
Voigtlander finder. Now and then we were accosted by salespeople who wanted
to sell us suits. Have you ever seen 4 LUGgers on a shopping spree! Suits are
the last thing we would buy. All in all it was a most enjoyable day. We all
found something we needed and I know that Joseph had a "tall" double shoe for
me anyway.
  On Saturday evening it was time for the LUG dinner. The first dinner in
1998 attracted 13 tentative LUGgers, this time we were 27 or 28 (have you
ever tried to keep track of LUGgers in a dining room!). There were almost all
of the "original" group, except Adrian Bradshaw who could not make it, having
just gotten back to Beijing from Bangkok and Chris Chung who was trying to
rally some more voters for his election campaign. The organizer, Michele Bina
is now a father and married so no more late night rides on his BMW motorcycle
and he admitted to having bought something that has four wheels and holds
baby-things! Marriage and fatherhood has not diminished his skill as a LUG
dinner organizer. Food was excellent and Sarah had picked out some really
good wines. Joseph took the opportunity to deliver some optical toys to
fellow LUGgers. I think he needs one of those surgeons travel cases with a
red dot on it! Hong Kong is a bit of a "Hub" for Leica and LUGgers in Asia
and even for some of us from North America. There were LUGgers from
Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, California, Canada, and Mainland China. There
was a surfeit of M-Leicas around and even some R8's. Jim Nelon had an
impressive rig with R8 and flash on extender. Looked like something you could
receive satellite images with. He is also an extremely good photographer and
I am trying to convince him to do a story for LHSA "Viewfinder" on his color
stuff. Howard Cummer sported a Bessa-R, but admitted that he was lusting for
Lee's black paint M2. We ate well, drank well and discussed things Leica and
other subjects of lesser importance. We continued well into the night and as
LUG dinners go, it was great one.
 The next morning it was up early (well it felt early after the LUG evening)
and out to the airport, 4 hours to Tokyo and another 9 hours to Vancouver. I
am trying to get some of the overseas LHSA members to do some articles for
LHSA's "Viewfinder". Jim Nelon as mentioned and I suggested that someone do a
story on the camera-arcades in Hong Kong. Howard Cummer volunteered instantly
and this could be the essential guide for any LHSA/LUGger heading HK. If you
are invited to go to a Hong Kong LUG dinner, take my advice and go!
 Thanks to all the LUGgers I met during the trip. The hospitality and effort
that LUG-hosts put into  these "exchanges"
(I hesitate to call them cultural as some of the spouses might be reading
this!) is unmatched. You always come home wondering what it is with that
little black box with its red dot that gets us all together. It really does
not matter were it is made, it spells Leica and that seems to be enough for
us all.
 To keep on topic, the M6 0,58 is all I hoped it would be. A 35 on that and a
50 or a 75 on the 0,85 and you are set. Semi-topically: I had the opportunity
to try a new black/white film from Fuji, it is a 100 ASA and the name in
Japan is ACROS (no, I have no idea what it means either) and judging from the
two rolls I shot, it could give Delta 100 a run for its money!
Can't wait to go to Tokyo and Hong Kong again!
Tom A

P.S. Coming home I found out that Hermes has bought 30% of Leica. After
having seen the plethora of Hermes stuff in both Tokyo and Hong Kong, I can
only wonder what this deal will bring out. Hermes ties as neckstraps for
Leicas? Leica neckstraps as ties in Hermes duty free lists? Maybe a whole
series of Hermes Silk camera wraps. My guess is another Special Edition M6
with some really weird vulcanite. Hey, what about a Hermes Lens Cleaning
Cloth!