Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #222
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:30:37 -0500

on 12/1/00 3:01 AM,Voightgroup@Aol.com wrote:

> Recently, I resurrected my IIIf from the back of my camera shelf. Can't seem
> to load a roll of film into it without the film jamming and/or tearing. I ran
> tons of film through it many years ago. As I remember it, sometimes I would
> trim the tab down per the little picture on the base plate, sometimes not. It
> didn't seem to make a difference. Even loaded my home-rolled cassettes
> without a problem. Is today's film base thinner?

- -Interesting question--when I resurrected my IIIa a couple of years ago
I had the same problem. In the 60s, I bulk loaded my film and cut a VERy
short leader--even shorter than the commercial leaders today--it never
caused a problem. I had a Japanese copy of a Leitz template, but never used
it as it was extra work and wasn't necessary. Now if I don't cut a long
leader (usually with the template) the SAME IIIa and my IIIf will not load
properly. Is it a change in the film base or just that my nearly 40 years
older hands are less dexterous?
Bob Marvin

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #222)