Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:32:26 -0500

Well, you must tell us what offends Slavs!
I have found that placing your hand up with the palm outward in some
cultures means, "Stop", but do it to a Greek, and he might puch you in the
snoot! In some cultures the 'Thumbs up!" sign is an insult, and in the
middle east, the sign we in the west perceive as "Okay!", made with thumb
and forefinger is a grave insult!
I under stand that flicking your teeth with your thumbnail in France is an
insult, and that you should never touch the head of a Japanese as in patting
as it is also an insult!
The cultural differences in just something as simple as body language is
immense! It is a nice thing that at least we can't see each other twitch,
gesticulate, and move in all the offensive ways we do on the internet!!

At least the smile :o) is universal (I think!)

Dan ( Can I wave, "Bye!" and not get shot here?) Post