Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:16:30 EST

In a message dated 12/1/00 6:41:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< Then of course expanding the comparison we have Schiller and
 > Goethe, Beethoven and Wagner, Von Bruan and Einstein.  >>

    Interesting choices.  First time I've seen Wagner and Einstein held up
together as models of German pre-eminence.  I am, of course, being very
restrained here.  I could have used terms such as "Aryan" or "master race".
However, the irony of including a Jew who fled the Nazi regime side by side
with a vicious polemical anti-Semite like Wagner is sufficient unto itself,
at least to those having the barest knowledge of  European history.
    The writer is clearly oblivious, but it is to be noted that ignorance,
ethnocentricity and volubility are not infrequently found as companion
personality traits.  The LUG is a truly international and multi-cultural
group.  I suppose we can make room for a few neo-Nazis.

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Country of origin)