Subject: Re: [Leica] Gandy, Puts, Objectivity, etc.
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2000 11:19:34 -0800

On Sat, 02 December 2000, "Douglas Cooper" wrote:

> (quoting Erwin) "The generally weaker performance in the field is also a characteristic that
> distinguishes these lenses from the Leica lenses."
>

> Excuse me?  The "objective" test had *nothing whatsoever* to do with
> performance in the field.  In other words, if the rigorous scientific
> results go against Leica, we have to fall back on subjective judgments
> (always) to decide that the Leica lens is in fact superior.

Doug,

Given that english isn't Erwin's primary language some interpretation may be in order here.  When I say "in the field" it means, as you apparently have assumed, "when I'm outside making pictures".  It's possible that Erwin means "away from the central part of the image area", which is how I interpret his report.  Perhaps Erwin can jump in and clarify for us.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento