Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R7 shutter dial problem
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2000 20:04:23 -0800

On Sun, 03 December 2000, Martin Howard wrote:

> My R7 has recently developed a problem with the shutter speed dial.  From
> what I can tell, there appears to be muck on the electrical contacts under
> the dial which prevent it from reading the correct setting in M and T modes.
> If I place the camera in A or P mode, the shutter speed readout in the VF
> apepar perfectly normal and change according to the subject brightness.
>
> Does anyone know if it is a major job to remove the top place and clean the
> contacts?  It's obviously something that would take ten minutes to do (the
> cleaning) and I'd rather not send it off and pay $200 for a CLA it doesn't
> need.
>
> M.

Martin,

If it's anything like the R4sP I wouldn't try it myself.  There's a spring at the film advance shaft that "sproings" quite dramatically when you take things apart, and is not easy to re-install.  Besides, if memory serves me well, the contacts are deeper in the body than the top plate.

Sherry doesn't handle R bodies any more so ask DAG about it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento