Subject: Re: [Leica] Coating a Plywood Darkroom Sink
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:49:22 -0500

> paul nelson wrote:
>>
>> All,
>> I'm just about to start coating my plywood sink,
>> 6'X2', and was hoping someone could give me some
>> pointers on achieving a durable and water tight
>> finish.
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
> Marine grade plywood.
> Get mask
> when all sanded wipe it down with lacquer thinner before you lay down the
epoxy.
> Mix up the epoxy in a shallow flat container or it will burst into flames
> this happened to me
> re coat that the specific right time; not too long or too short
> we had to set our alarm to do our third in the middle of the night.
> I put together the sink with the same epoxy i coated it with.
> Its been ten years and no sign of a problem.
> I used West Systems two part epoxy resin at a marine supply store.
> mark rabiner
> :)

WEST (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique) System, comes in a fast and slow
hardner. If you get the fast it will start to 'kick' off at about the 20
minute mark, so, I suggest getting the slow hardner which will give you
another 15/20 minutes to apply. Also suggest you get the 1 gallon size and I
highly recommend spending the extra few dollars for the WEST pumps.

I have been using the WEST System for 25 years on my wood sailboat. Its
great.

Steve
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu> (Re: [Leica] Coating a Plywood Darkroom Sink)