Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70 R Zooms and Country of Origin
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:55:44 -0500

on 4/12/00 3:01 am, Cochran, Adam at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
wrote:

> I have seen many comments on the 35-70 f4 - but has anyone had experience
> with the 35-70 f3.5 Vario-Elmar (German)?  How does it compare to the
> current f4?  Thanks.

Hi Adam

I originally bought a Mint 35-70 f3.5 German Vario Elmar. It had the
distinct advantage of fitting in a long-nose case for an R4. I tested the
lens on a tripod with shots of my local church using my 60mm Macro Elmarit
as a benchmark. I wasn't stunned by the resolution but I was very
disappointed by the flare performance.

My dealer took one look at the pictures and immediately suggested the new
35-70 f4 (same price new versus pre-owned). I don't know why but I was
rather reluctant to take it and as I was moving from the UK to the US at the
time didn't get chance to try it out for over a month. All I can say is I
continue to be delighted by this lens. The resolution and colour fidelity is
excellent. You can use it wide open and it flares in a very soft 'smoky'
manner which I find I can use creatively should I want. I've shot every kind
of film now with the lens from IR to high speed colour and I'm sold on it.

I should thank the LUGgers that helped me take the decision to go with the
newer lens as I was all ready to give up on zooms.

- --
David Prakel
dprakel@rochester.rr.com
seeing double
photo exhibition currently showing at the Community Darkroom Rochester, NY
and at http://home.rochester.rr.com/prakel/exhibition/gallery.htm
please check it out