Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R7 shutter dial problem
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:03:20 -0500

on 4/12/00 3:01 am, Martin Howard at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
wrote:

> My R7 has recently developed a problem with the shutter speed dial.  From
> what I can tell, there appears to be muck on the electrical contacts under
> the dial which prevent it from reading the correct setting in M and T modes.
> If I place the camera in A or P mode, the shutter speed readout in the VF
> apepar perfectly normal and change according to the subject brightness.
>
> Does anyone know if it is a major job to remove the top place and clean the
> contacts?  It's obviously something that would take ten minutes to do (the
> cleaning) and I'd rather not send it off and pay $200 for a CLA it doesn't
> need.

Hi Martin

I had an almost identical problem with my R4 recently which I returned to
Leica NJ for diagnosis. I'm afraid the solution was 300USD and was down to
the switchgear in the shutter sped selector/mode selector being worn out.
Sounds less likely in a younger R7 I'll grant you but it will depend on the
use/abuse your R7 has had.

- --
David Prakel
dprakel@rochester.rr.com
seeing double
photo exhibition currently showing at the Community Darkroom Rochester, NY
and at http://home.rochester.rr.com/prakel/exhibition/gallery.htm
please check it out