Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter speed problems on R7: strange new events
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:46:48 -0800 (PST)

Martin Howard wrote:

(snip) Hmm.  A quick dash to my local supermarket and 10 fresh AA
batteries later, I reattached the motor drive and it now appears to
work perfectly.

Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this?  Low voltage in the
motor drive battery pack affecting the camera's ability to read the
shutter speed dial?  (I didn't even think that the camera drew power
from the MD BP) This is the most bizarre manifestation of low-battery
voltage I've ever come across.
Martin, it sounds as though the camera does indeed take its power from
the MD when attached, although I wasn't aware of that. Maybe your R7
has some slight electrical resistance between the contacts in the
shutter speed selector, due to oxidation and/or accumulated dirt. This
may be sufficient to defeat the lower voltage of old batteries but not
new ones. If this is the case, I would expect it to be a problem
especially with alkaline cells, since their voltage falls off as they
are used up. BTW, does the shutter selector work OK using the camera
batteries, i.e. without the MD attached?

Regards,

=====
Ray