Subject: RE: [Leica] 35/1.4 PRE-ASPH vs 35/2 PRE-ASPH
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:48:37 -0000

Dante,
As many of us have said, the early 35 Summilux is such a wonderful lens but
it has a different set of criteria to the present (asph) version. Don't try
the newspaper on the wall test as you'll think its poor, it's curved field
makes such a test worthless, but if you want the closest bokeh (look) to a
Noctilux at F1 then this, I think, is as close as it gets.
Lovely for dark clubs and pubs, etc.
The curved field comes toward you at the corners which can be handy when
placing foreground interest near you. Unlike the lens fitted to the Olympus
Pen W (Wide) which worked in the opposite way, I'd photographed a sequence
of posts some eighteen inches away yet at the top corners I could count the
bricks on houses that were 400 yds distant!

regards,
Jem