Subject: Re: [Leica] re:Fuji 645 vs Leica (sortof ot)
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:47:19 -0400

Bill Lawlor wrote:

> Martin wrote..
>
> I 'had' one of those, and it was OK, but it was not very good with exposure
> control.  It had aperture priority only, and the flash would only sync at
> 1/45...  The pictures were good, but all those automatic controls really
> did more damage than good, at least for what I used it to shoot...  I'm not
> saying it was a bad camera, it just didn't suit my needs.  It also did not
> have a fast lense.  Instead, I bought a GS645, which is a Fuji 645
> folder...fixed focal length, f3.5...nothing automatic, and I really like
> it...slightly finicky though.

> I had the GS645 75mm/3.5, and the nonfolding 45mm and 60mm versions. All
> were excellent cameras. The 45 was scale focuser but the others had true
> rangefinders and LED meters, otherwise, manuals all around. The lenses were
> awesome. I have a lot of big RA-4 prints up to 25X38 that I made with the
> 60mm 645. I found it very compatible with the Leica style photography I do.
> It was not at all a "tripod camera", more a big Leica. I went around the
> world with the GS645W , a M6, and a GR1. I'll probably get another 645, they
> are common at swap meets in California for about $500. At present I'm
> concentrating on 35mm technique and printing, but, Roger, if you want a MF
> backup camera you will be at home with the manual Fuji models.
>
> Bill Lawlor
I presently own and use the Fuji 645S, the non-folding rangefinder with a60mm
lens. I find it easy to use and extreamly sharp, light weight and all around
my favorite medium format walk about camera.  But WAIT HOLD ON A MINUTE STOP
THE PRESS. At the recent Hunt Photo Vidio show here in Boston I had a chance
to see=, handle and purchase a new camera from Bronica.  Yup you guessed it.
It is a 645 rangefinder camera with INTERCHANGABLE LENSES.  Bronica is
offering initially three lenses  55mm, 65mm the normal, and 135mm.  I am
anxiously awaiting delivery. Though this camera has apreture prefered auto
exposure it functions fully manually.  I will give a report when I receive the
camera and put some film through it.
John Shick