Subject: [Leica] Minilux vs. T2
From: "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:07:37 -0700

Denton Taylor wrote:

> That real competitor to the Minilux is the Contax T2, recently
discontinued
> but still available new. Better finder with frame lines, and the flash
> won't go off unless you want it to. Titanium body, Zeiss 2.8 lens, simple
> to manual focus, simple exposure comp, and simple to switch to aperture
> priority instead of program.

What you say is succinct and accurate; however, you omit the fact that with
the T-2 you do not know (either before or after the shot) at what speed the
camera is going to shoot. That is not entirely correct, as the T2 will tell
you by bracketing; for instance, it might tell you that the shot you are
about to take will be at somewhere between 1/30th and 1/125, which is more
or less useless information.

The Minilux, on the other hand, will tell you exactly at what speed it is
about to shoot. If that is not the speed you want for that subject, then you
can change speed by adjusting aperture.

Also, the Minilux is noticeably quieter. I suppose this is because the
Minilux runs its lens out during the focusing and the T2 does so when the
shutter release is pressed.

Before buying my Minilux I shot it and a T2 for a weekend (both non-zoom)
and quite a few rolls of film. Both have excellent lenses, but before I even
developed the film I'd decided to buy the Minilux unless the T2 lens was
substantially better.

When shooting the T2 I had the feeling I was shooting a P&S with a bit of
added control. When shooting the Minilux I had the feeling I was shooting a
manual camera with some automatic features. In that sense, my decision was
entirely subjective, but it was an easy one to make after shooting both
cameras.

In a camera-shop comparison I'd imagine that the T2 would win every time, if
only on the basis of its great viewfinder.

Others may prefer the T2, but this was my personal experience and decision.
They are both good for what they are, and both lenses give my 50 Summicron a
run for its money.

- -- Paul
Paul Arnold
22 Sunrise St.