Subject: Re: [Leica] How to Improve Photography Skills
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:59:47 -0500

Duri Koenz jotted down the following:

> Dear Leica Friends
>
> I would like very much to improve my photography skills. I am an engaged
> amateur since many years, but I have a fulltime job and a large family. I
> allready studied lots of books and tryed to make my own experiences, but
> somehow I am stuck. I think I need some impuls. Is there a home study or
> online course or any other method or possibility which you can recommend?

It depends a lot upon where you are in your photographic development.  I've
found that books are useful for learning basic photographic techniques, but
not very useful for developing the more abstract (and sometimes more
important) photographic skills, such as an eye for light, composition, what
to take pictures of and when to press the shutter release.

I'm guessing, from what you write, that you've already plowed through the
basic photographic books and are looking for something more.  Personally, I
found two avenues: the first is to buy photographic books, not about
equipment or techniques, but with portfolios and pictures.  Look at lots of
photography, but look at it actively and critically.  Think about why you
like something, what makes a picture work.  Not just in the broad strokes,
but in the details too.  Take your favorite genre and think about what makes
a successful photograph within that genre.   Then try to apply that to your
own work.

The second avenue is to get to know working photographers and talk to them,
or to take a photographic workshop.  I've chosen the first option, since I
like to get to know people and make new friends (also, I find that many
photographers are fascinating people -- tremendous wealth of experience,
very capable of thinking on their feet, and often intellectuals whose
thinking has not been 'crippled' by lengthy formal education).  I've been
very fortunate in that I've met some wonderful photographers who've
generously shared their experience and given me some insight into the
thought that goes into photography.  This you cannot learn through books --
because it would seem that no-one writes such books.  To a very, very
limited degree you can get some of this through photographic magazines such
as Camera Arts and View Camera Magazine where they interview photographers,
but you miss out on all the fun.

Finally, a third thing to try is to team up with another photographer who is
at a similar position on the learning curve as you are.  Then, give each
other photographic assignments.  For example, you might give them the
assignment "shoot the colour red", "show 'People at Rest'", "explore
selective focus", or "photograph 'Solitude'".  Set up a time frame, do the
assignment, swap contact sheets.  Then critique the each others work.  You
learn a lot when you are forced to think explicitly and explain to someone
else why you did what you did.

Good luck!

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | "A Qualitative Study of Elderly Bathroom
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  |  Users": title of a presentation at a Human
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | Factors & Ergonomics Society's conference.