Subject: [Leica] 13 steps
From: "TLEE" <tlee20@home.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 01:03:47 -0500

Hi folks,

Peter S, being an intellectual property expert, do I have to worry abt
getting sue by Gilles by making this public?

a few notes.  first of all, the copy I have is very bad/faint (it is over 15
yrs old).  There are words and punctuations I cant make out, but will do the
best I can.  I dont understand everything I'm reading/writing.

few of u ask what is a TA   "Teachers  assistance"

The following was handed out by Gilles P to the students at ICP in the early
or mid 80s
Pls note that this was a photojournalism course

'13 steps to Fame'  - how to do a story in 13 steps / F-stop in the Twilight
Zone (I have no idea what he is talking abt here)

1)    Idea.  How to want.  How to get
a)    clippings
b)    story proposals / relationships with people
c)    dreams
d)    obsessions/what is important to you
e)    identity
f)    truth seeking/the need to find out
g)    passports and access to places (you are the only one with the
background, visas, cultural disposition)

2)    Money/ how to finance (its work to get work)
1a)    magazine assignments/story proposals - prime the pump with stories/
shoot stories to SHOW to sympathetic editors.  Personal relations, lunches,
sex with editor/ know thy editor.  establish who you are so people remember
you long range for your style and stories, rather than short -run/ Keep our
work going and give your eye to the magazines.
b)    dayrate plus expenses - rates from 250 to 750 for editorial.
advertising and corporate from 750 to 2500 (hidden cost)
c)    Magazine guarantee plus expenses
d)    guarantee/flat sum (learn how to save/ on a shoestring)

B)    grants/proposals, bio, presenting work/identify likely organization
for what you want: NEA Guggenheim, E Smith/narrow door, but you can start
something and get grant after ou have something to show
        1. the foundation center
        2. cent for art info 625 Bway
b)    presentation/always 16x20 prints/ no mats/ like to touch artwork/
clumsy great prints and intelligent texts.

3)    Leaving/ when is the right time
a)    personal rhythm/ visual emotional conceptual consequences  (are you
emotionally ready for a long journey/ are you best at sprints or long hauls
b)    Packing/ rule of sevens - seven shirts, seven undies, seven socks, tow
boots, tow jackets, two pants.  Know the climate.  clothing needs before
equipment
personal list ( Leicas - 28,35,50,134 / 4 bodies/2 vivitars/ 2 incident
meter).  Magazine /commercial:  20, 28, 35, 55, 80, 180, 300
4 bodies/ Nikons, 2 Norman 200Bs, 1 Dynalite 800, 1 vivitar, poloroid back.
Filters, especially magenta and assistance.  Lead boxes fro film at Camera
barn
Do camera check (develop relationship with your cameras - six month repairs
at Marty Forcher/ Professional Camera
Choice of emulsion / do tests on Kodachrome

4)    Day1        (prepare AGAP)
a)    Say goodbye and detach yourself from home - disconnect phone xxx(cant
make out) hotel; invent fantasy
b)    transform assignment into something personal -- research it, make it
your own.
I dont know what I am doing... I scared shitless.. why I amdoing this.. what
am I doing.. 5 days of walking before shooting 1 picture tells you why.
c)    try to know the subject, relate to him and it will come out
(buy books, eat food, keep diary, read poetry)
d)    concept develops from shooting, looking, editing -- shoot, look, edit,
thats the process by which understanding deepens.
If you go with a shopping list you will miss what is there. wasteful, but
for me the way I maintain connection with what I am doing.  The Iran book
was 5 weeks - but each story has a different rhythm -some take repeated
trips
        Go to subject with as little ideas as possible, when you start
seeing the area and talking to the people the photography will be clearer/
dont make shopping list.
getting a charge out of the assignment alone is dangerous because if the
phone stops ringing ou are nothing.  Shoot because it is in front of you,
then it is your life.  Solid on commercial jobs have an assistant you have
fun with if you dont have emotional contact with the subject, or concentrate
on visual challenges, or doing the job well.  Cant shoot color and b/w
together/ sensual color vs the abstraction, the mind of b/w

will finish up tomorrow
nite
Ting