Subject: Re: [Leica] tape for tripod legs
From: Steve Beyer <steve@beyerphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:28:20 -0500

Hi Dan,
    I am surprised that you found the carbon fibers to be a real problem in
the cold.  They do not conduct the cold nearly as much as the metal legs.
If the cold was from holding the legs, most people go with foam pipe
insulation that you find in the hardware stores and wrap it with electrical
or heavy duct tape.  This gives you the added benefit of some cushion if you
have a heavy camera and lens that you keep on the tripod and you heft the
rig over your shoulder when on the move.  I have seen people go with the
wrap that you find for wrapping car steering wheel or bicycle handle bars.
I don't think any of these will give you much protection if the cold fingers
are from touching the adjusting controls.  My recommendation would be to
wear double gloves.  Inside wear thin gloves so you can still work the
controls of the tripod and camera.  Outside wear a pair of heavy mittens
that you can stuff your hands into to keep warm.  I often use a chemical
warmer "Hand Warmers" that provide a pleasant relief when I return my hands
to the mittens.

Steve