Subject: Re: [Leica] tape for tripod legs
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:37:04 -0500

Dan Honemann jotted down the following:

> Yet another tape thread....
>
> I bought a Gitzo 1227 tripod and a Bogen carbon one monopod over the weekend
> (both wonderfully light).  Took them out early Sunday morning in
> below-freezing weather and found my fingers nearly frostbitten
> carrying/adjusting them.
>
> What's the best tape to use to cover the upper segment?

I bought pipe insulation from my local hardware store, cut it off in lengths
equal to the top segment of the tripod legs, slipped it on, and taped it
into place with either gaffer tape or black duct tape.  Works like a charm:
I can take out my all-metal Tiltall in freezing conditions without a
problem.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | "And many photographers will also appreciate
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | the separate control rings for focus and
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | aperture."    -- Leica lens ad copy.