Subject: Re: [Leica] Auction results
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:03:02 -0800

>>For me, this list is a sad commentary on what passes for "art photography"
>these
>>days. To see Cindy Sherman on top of a list is an abomination, as is the
>absence
>>of people like Salgado, Koudelka, Cartier-Bresson etc. etc.
>>
>>This is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.
>>
>>Nathan
>
>Well put and exactly my sentiments. Just because the brainwashed masses
>buy that
>'stuff' like hot cakes, doesn't make it great or even good art or photography.
>
>Jiri

thank goodness we know better than the brainwashed masses, who - like the
unwashed masses - are easily identified by their bad taste (inevitably the
very opposite of ours).

if they ever want to get it right, all they have to do is come and ask us
what *real* art and photography is all about, and we'll set 'em straight!

i personally thank god every night that we know it all.

guy