Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:16:02 -0800

>Nathan Wajsman jotted down the following:
>
>> For me, this list is a sad commentary on what passes for "art photography"
>> these days. To see Cindy Sherman on top of a list is an abomination, as
>>is the
>> absence of people like Salgado, Koudelka, Cartier-Bresson etc. etc.
>>

>I've always understood art as having two functions: (a) the creation of
>objects for aesthetic pleasure, (b) as an (often) non-verbal comments on
>philosophy and society to provide criticism and provoke thought.
>Prefacing this discussion with the fact that I'm not intimately knowledgable
>about Sherman's photography, I don't find it the least troubling that it is
>considered valuable art photography... [snip]
>M.

martin, you should know better!

defending art photography on this list is a dangerous activity, and your
butt may soon be feeling the heat of the flame war that could very well
ensue from your standing up for - *gasp* - CINDY SHERMAN!!! man, she's on
the same level as E*******, doncha know!

please, just stick to hcb and the pj's and all will continue to be quiet on
the western (art) front.

guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)
Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)