Subject: Re: [Leica] Never-Load Kit
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:44:39 -0500

At 06:44 PM 12/13/2000 +0100, Stephen Holloway wrote:
>This says nothing about the rapidload kit because you haven't specified in
>what way it isn't positive. Isn't the evidence of a spinning rewind knob
>positive enough for you? That's all you should need - it's an operational
>verification.

No, I don't look at the rewind knob on my Leicas, LTM or M.  Never had a
problem with any save for the M3 with Never-Load Kit.  My M4's and M6's
have all loaded flawlessly once I figured out using the system, a matter of
five or six rolls.  In any event, as I have to pull the take-up spool out
to reset the frame counter, why use the Never-Load kit?  If you have to
pull the spool out anyway, do it right, as Wetzlar originally intended.

Again, note that I am not the only person who has made this identical
complaint on the List, though you seem to have singled me out for
vituperation.  Why not figure out that a lot of us just plain do not like
the Never-Load Kits and do so after having used them.

Finally, I haven't a clue as to what Tamarkin or Chatterton or KEH would
have to say about these kits.  I was speaking about what camera-store
owners in the 1960's said about them.  (You just missed one of these, Tink
Ewald, who died last month.  He was a Leica user from 1945 until his final
illness, and a camera-store owner to boot, as well as being a founding
member of the Leica Collectors' Society, now the LHSA.  HE would get
peppery indeed about these kits -- had twenty-five of them dumped on him by
Leica, and I finally took the last five off of him in 1990 or '91.  I was
the first person to ask about them in fifteen years!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!