Subject: [Leica] Conventional M3 Loading
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:56:43 -0500

At 05:38 PM 12/13/2000 +0100, Stephen Holloway wrote:
>Original loading:
>
>Flip the baseplate off, old film falls out, put in your pocket. Turn the
>camera upside down in your left hand, hold the baseplate between 3rd and 4th
>fingers pull the spool out, it's in your right hand - oops, you just ran out
>of hands. Stop, put some stuff down and you know the rest.

Actually, what most folks do is to put the spool in the pocket together
with the baseplate.  Let the camera hang down on the strap.  Remove the
film cannister with one hand, the take-up spool with the other.  Connect
them as Father Barnack intended.  Turn the camera upside down and insert
the two film spools into the base of the camera.  Once this is in place,
remove the base plate from the pocket and install it on the camera.

I also do a LOT of street shooting and have never had a problem loading an
M3.  (But, then, some folks on the Rollei List complain about loading a
Rolleiflex TLR while walking, and I don't have a problem with that, either.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Conventional M3 Loading)