Subject: Re: [Leica] Conventional M3 Loading
From: Aaron Ruby <aruby@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:42:05 -0500

> Having owned and used M3 cameras for many years I too can load the damn thing
> while it is hanging around my neck.  It is a feat that a juggler would be
> proud to include in his or her routine.  But I can and do do it.  I do,
> however vastly prefer to load an M4 or higher, especially as I usually have so
> many things in my pockets that I sometimes have a hard time finding the spool
> or wayward baseplate.
> John Shick

I too count myself among those who have no problems loading an "ol' skool"
Leica. I DON'T think it's a skill to write home about, though. In fact,
while I agree that loading an M4 or newer is a bit easier once mastered, at
first I had a devil of a time getting the hang of loading my M6 millennium.
No such trials with the M2, however. I've never misloaded a roll with that
gem of Leitz engineering. When shooting the protests in Washington last
April, I didn't notice any significant slowdown (or benefit) with either
camera. I just made sure both cameras didn't finish rolls at the same time.
And for those of you who are prone to testing the shutters of your cameras
in adverse environments, I can tell you that the M2 performs flawlessly
inside of D.C. jail cells ;)

Aaron Ruby