Subject: [Leica] Older Ms (was Re: Problems with Leica M6 0.85 rangefinder: flare)
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:52:51 -0500

Stephen Holloway <hollowst@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can the M6 0.85 be had for $1300 used? Maybe, a beat-up one!
> Also, taking the batteries out of an M6 doesn't give it the
> feel of an M3. The shutter throw is much longer and less
> precise. My favourite feature of the M3 is the wonderful
> 'hair trigger' feel of the shutter button.
>
> There are plenty of M3s around and you can look through the
> viewfinder to see if it's clear.
>
> And also, the VF is not the same. The M3's is better!

The lack of dual viewfinder framelines in the M2 & 3 clinches it for me in
favor of the oldies. I like that nice, clean, uncluttered view. Now I
imagine I could get used to the M6's viewfinder if I had to...but I don't
have to. At least not yet. In fact I just picked up a moderately used,
recently CLA'd M3 for use with my 90mm Summicron and that Noctilux I plan to
get within the next year or so. I imagine if my first Leica experience had
been with an M4 or M6 I might have a different take on this. But my left eye
has been conditioned by a quarter century + of looking through my M2's
finder. Loading film the standard M2/3 way seems natural to me too.
Mastering the loading process on my IIIf is a different kettle of fish, but
I'm getting better at it. :-)

- -Dave-