Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:31:08 +0000

>Nick Poole jotted down the following:
>
>>  (Actually, I hate theorising about art for I believe it appeals to far more
>>  than the head, but I know you never suggested any such thing!)
>
>I don't.  Unless you can eat it and gain nourishment from it, then I think
>it's fair to say that the head is ultimately the only body part which would
>gain anything from art.  I doubt that it has any greater effect on the blood
>circulation, so we can rule out the heart as a benefactor... ;)
>
>M.
>
>--
>Martin Howard                 | Trying to determine human performance by
>Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   | experiments is nothing but the ritual of
>email: howard.390@osu.edu     | The Ballet for the Gods of Invariance.
>www: http://mvhoward.i.am/    +-------------------------------------------

Sorry, Martin, I just don't see it that way!

Art is not appreciated only on an intellectual level. Is nourishment
confined only to the body? What do you get from listening to a good
concert? Just a stimulus in the head? And does a feeling of elation
or revulsion not cause your pulse to race? Have you no SOUL, man?;-)
;-)

Sorry, I'm getting a bit too didactic here and starting to argue
rather than discuss. I respect utterly your different viewpoint and
am not in any way trying to convince you to adopt mine (if I even
understood it fully myself!). So I'll leave this thread to others
better qualified to comment, and maybe learn more by listening!

But thank you for your ideas and comments,
Nick