Subject: [Leica] Leica 70-180 f/2.8
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 05:47:53 GMT

I bought this lens after raving reports on the LUG. I am very happy with
its performance, and its handling, but it is heavy. I use it almost always
hand held, and have been delighted with the results. Last week I used it
with the apo 2x with Kodachrome 200 shooting sea lions, and was very happy
with the results. The lens balances well with the R8 and winder, and the
left hand can easily zoom and focus while the right hand waits for the DM,
I set the lens on 70 and zoom in to frame a shot focus and shoot, then set
the lens back on 70 ready for the next one.

But it is heavy, it is very expensive, and a filter for it would cost a
bomb "polarizer" of course, so you have to be fairly dedicated to take it
on a 2 weeks journey on which you intend to walk a lot. I do use the f2.8 a
lot however, and would miss that with the slower alternative.

All in all, a great lens if you have the fortitude to use it.

Cheers