Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: what would you do ?
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:48:47 -0700

I can't speak for the situation outside the US, but here:

In the US the situation where your card number has been used fraudulently
has changed in recent months.  Both MasterCard and Visa changed their
policy early this year.  Before the change the legitimate cardholder was
responsible for the first $50.  However, with the change the liability to
the legitimate cardholder is zero.  I can't speak for Discover or AmEx but
I believe the rule to be the same.

Merchants are responsible for determining that the person making the
purchase is the same as the person whose name is on the card.  Even over
the phone it is a simple matter for merchants to determine that the
purchaser is actually holding the card and not just using a stolen number.
The cardholder is responsible for safeguarding the card, reporting it lost
or stolen, or contacting the issuer if he (she) believes that fraud has
been attempted.

Merchants seldom verify the ownership of the card.  I use my debit card
several times a week and maybe once in ten uses does the clerk make any
attempt to verify the signature on the card with the signature on the
draft.  Once I asked (insisted) that the clerk verify my signature and he
became very huffy, as though I was questioning his integrity.  And I don't
believe I have been asked for a second form of ID containing a picture once
this year.  When a merchant has to eat a fraudulent purchase it is because
the merchant has failed to carry out his (her) part of the procedure.

Dave