Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:28:53 -0800

At 6:23 PM -0800 12/20/00, Cochran, Adam wrote:
>All  - -  I am of the opinion that it will be a long time before there is a
>digital camera that will provide the performance or "feel" of the Leica, but
>enjoy PhotoShop, and thus am interested in obtaining a scanner for 35mm film
>and transparencies.  Several of you have commented quite positively over the
>past several months on the Nikon LS-2000.  However, I have also reviewed
>comments by others at
>
>http://www.image-acquire.com/scanner/viscomm/nikocs2000.html
>
>where users do not speak well of the LS-2000 scanner, particularly Nikon
>service which is (according to them) greatly needed for this product.  Have
>any of you had a negative experience with the reliability of the LS-2000?
>Are there other scanners in this price range that you would recommend?

I've had the LS-2000 a little more than a year, and had the LS-20
before that. Before buying the LS-2000 I had both the Polaroid 4000
and the LS-2000 at the same time for a little, and the extra shadow
detail that the LS-2000 was able to pick up in dense areas was the
deciding factor and more than offset the higher resolution of the
Polaroid in my estimation.

I have the 50 slide feeder as well. This has been finicky, but still
a worthwhile purchase, as I can let it do a 12bit, 4x sampling batch
in about 2 hours all by itself and then do all the correction in
Photoshop.

Both Nikon scanners I've had have been without problems. The one I
bought was a refurbished unit, so it might have had a problem
earlier, but it seems properly fixed, whatever it was.

The Polaroid software has been improved since I tried it, and it is
undoubtedly a worthy alternative. Minolta also has a scanner in this
range, but I have no experience with it.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com