Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners (Nikon)
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:15:44 -0500 (EST)

> > where users do not speak well of the LS-2000 scanner, particularly Nikon
> > service which is (according to them) greatly needed for this product.

I recommend the LS-30 (Coolscan III), with only a couple reservations.  I
bought it mainly because of its optical resolution (2,700 dpi) and the
fact that it uses LEDs instead of a bulb so I figured it would be more
reliable -- no bulbs to burn out or try to find replacements for.

I've been happy with it except:

1) I don't like the Nikon scanning software.
   Vuescan is much better, and works under Linux oo.

2) The low-end SCSI adapter died within several months.
   I've been trying to call Nikon repair service for WEEKS
   and all I get is a busy signal.  NIKON SERVICE NEEDS HELP.
   Based on this experience, if I had (have) to buy a scanner
   again, it won't be a Nikon.  In the meantime I bought
   a replacement SCSI card (same one) and I was up and running
   very quickly.

I really do like the scanner, and I do recommend it.  However, Nikon needs
to do a better job at support.

- --Andrew