Subject: [Leica] HP S-20 film scanner
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:31:05

I have one of the original Photosmart scanners, and have been using it
succssfully for several years. As with any other photo tool, you get the
best results if you tailor your working methods to fit the device and
ultimate printing materials. In my case, this meant going back to something
I'd done years ago, using D-23 as a soft developer. Yes, this scanner didn't
handle my over-developed, get the last bit of speed negatives, but
truthfully, the darkroom didn't handle them all that well either. I've found
that by going back and reworking my techniques I regained a lot of the
quality I'd lost in the darkroom through the intervening careless years, and
the Photosmart is doing it's job just fine.

Advice to scan in color mode and convert in Photoshop is correct.

- --Michael