Subject: [Leica] Why DO we spend so much money on Leica glass, anyway?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:57:16 -0500

Following my recent musings on the joys and dangers of researching Leica
optics, I spent some time browsing Kyle's Leica galleries:
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/index.html

(Warning: going directly from absorption in Erwin's site (another incredibly
wonderful Leica stop) over to Kyle's--or vice-versa--is apt to result in
blowing a mental gasket; exercise due caution.)

I want to comment on two photographs that are astonishingly wonderful
images:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/leicagallery/gallery1/dres
smaker1.jpg

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/leicagallery/gallery2/grrl
z.jpg

What's perhaps most remarkable about these two photos is that they AREN'T
particularly sharp, smooth or (certainly not) grainless.  In terms of
technical merit, well, they have none (artistic merit, yes, in abundance).
He probably shot them both with a Jupiter.

And yet these images are a great success; my eye stays with them and enjoys
lingering there for a long while.  I can't imagine that they'd be any better
had they been shot with a 35 asph on a tripod--in fact, I have to believe
that would be a whole lot worse.

Okay, you can argue that producing grain and blur is actually a technique in
itself, and that for other types of photos (say, landscapes), high
resolution, edge contrast, and so on are just as important qualities to
making the images succeed--and you'd no doubt be right.  I think of Doug
Herr's beautiful and equally moving photos of birds and wildlife; I can't
imagine them working as well had they been shot with a Jupiter on grainy
b&w.

And maybe this is why we spend so much on Leica in the end: it allows us to
do *both*.  After all the bickering over black tape and camera bags, it's
sure great to spend some time looking at what great images LUGgers are able
to make with these tools.

Cheers,
Dan

Replies: Reply from "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com> (RE: [Leica] Why DO we spend so much money on Leica glass, anyway?)