Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 26 Dec 2000 13:12:58 -0800

On Tue, 26 December 2000, "Wilber Jeffcoat" wrote:

> Would you like to tell me why that is. I would think a longer lens would be
> less fussy than a shorter one. I think they are both of the same relative
> speed.  4 and 4.5
> Cheers Wilber

I doubt I can say *why* but what I've seen in my photos is that the 300 f/4.5 ED Nikkor produces very harsh background areas with a pronounced double-line effect if the background is close enough to the plane of focus that it's not totally obliterated.  The 250 Telyt (and the 280 f/4.8 Telyt-V) produce a much smoother background that's much less distracting.  Since the vast majority of my photos are closer to eye-candy than to photojournalism the overall look of the photo is as important to me as the content is.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!